Saturday, June 7, 2008

More Than A Job


Jenny took her job to the next level. She kept track of birthdays and baked cakes each month for building-wide birthday parties. Pass her way, and Jenny asked, “How’s your family doing?” Miss a day of work, and she’d look you up when you returned, asking, “Are you feeling better?”

One winter day, a fierce ice storm dumped several inches of sleet on everything. North Texas experienced a complete whiteout when sleet turned to snow. I called my husband’s office 45-miles away to urge him to come home. Too late, he left the office for lunch, and I got no answer. In desperation, I called Jenny. “My husband’s at lunch. I need for him to come home as soon as possible, but I’m uncertain if he’ll check his voice mail when he gets back to the office.”

“I’ll put a note on his chair if you’d like.” Jenny volunteered.

As an employee, Jenny lived above neutral.

How can you go beyond your job description this week?


I’d love to hear your ideas!

No comments: